Doing a Christmas wreath using Picture wire?

+3
Hi!
I am doing a wreath for Christmas using ornaments and wire. Instead of doing dry cleaner type hanger has anyone tried using wire that you use to hang pictures? Is it too soft? It seems much more easy to manipulate and once you form it, it doesn't seem like it would move around too much

• I'm not sure picture wire would hold its shape after the wreath was complete.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 03, 2017
    I like something really sturdy... like the hook or a corner of a coat hanger bent to fit.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 03, 2017
    You are correct - it's too soft. You'll need a heavier grade wire.

• Tom Stuart Tom Stuart on Dec 03, 2017
    Picture hanging wire is too flexible. Go to a hardware store and get a roll of galvanized steel wire stiff enough to work with. I usually use 14 or 16 gauge. You will need linemen’s pliers to cut it with and help bend hooks on the end. The wire can also be used for many household projects and the pliers will last forever.

• Bha31984806 Bha31984806 on Dec 03, 2017
    Thank you Tom!

Thank you all! I just saw Tom's response. I'm not much of a crafter but I would like to be! I saw a Mickey Mouse shaped wreath (bigger face, smaller ears), that was supposed to be on wire but I think I should look at doing something with styrofoam. What I like about the wire is the ornaments are not likely to fall off, especially since I glued to tops on, but with styrofoam I'm worried the ornam can dry out and fall off. Any crafters out there I welcome all tips!

Thank you all!