Looking for a rustic topper for your Christmas tree? Make this budget-friendly wood pallet star tree topper in just a few hours. It looks so good and was very easy to make using things we already had on hand.
Wood Pallet Tree Topper DIY
Just after we were married, my husband and I bought this angel tree topper from Rickels. Do you remember Rickels Stores? If you aren’t familiar, it was kind of like an Ace Hardware Store but closed its doors several years ago.
So we’ve had this angel tree topper for about 25 years now and have faithfully placed it on top of our real tree every year.
But this year, we changed things up and got this faux tree. It’s really beautiful and looks very authentic.
When we put the angel on top, it just didn’t look right.
Maybe we were just done with it, or maybe it just wasn’t working with the look we were going for.
So my husband stood back and said, “I’m making a star from the wood pallet we have out back.”
And off he went.
I love when he does stuff like this.
Last time he did this, he made me a cool potting bench from all the wood debris we’ve collected in the back of our shed.
Supplies Needed for DIY Wood Pallet Tree Star Topper
When you decide to do a project on the fly, it’s helpful to have a bunch of random things on hand to bring it all together. This entire project was made from the leftovers of other projects we’ve done so feel free to improvise the supply list.
- Wood Pallet
- T square
- Stick Ruler
- Star Template (as a guide)
- Compound Miter Saw
- Oscillating Saw
- Leftover Screws and Hardware (whatever you have on hand)
- Picture Hanging Wire
- Screw gun
How to Make a DIY Wood Pallet Tree Star Topper
- Gather supplies.
- Select wood pallets.
- Cut wood pallets into smaller workable pieces.
- Make a star template. We found a rusty metal star that we used as a guide.
- Set roughly three pieces together.
- Traced star on wood pallet with pencil.
- Cut the star pieces with a compound miter saw. Use an oscillating saw for pieces that were more complicated. Could also use a jigsaw if you have one.
- Fasten star together with screws and hardware we had on hand.
- Pre-drill holes before screwing together.
- Attach wire to the hardware on the back.
- Sand the edges to smooth out.
- Add to the tree.
I love a cozy Christmas tree don’t you? This wood pallet DIY adds the perfect rustic touch to our tree.
For more cool DIY ideas and inspiration, CLICK HERE.