I added colour and unique patterns to my 100% cotton off-white pillow cases!
Pillow Case "Shibori" Folding Technique Tie Dye
I put it under running water and squeeze out the water to leave it damp.
Then, I decided to fold it according to the size of a credit card. This would affect and determine the pattern size at the end. Once I was happy with the size and pattern, I unfolded it and started from the top.
Once I was happy, I fold it in, creating a fold on the same side each time (as presented in the picture).
Then, I folded it in, placing the edge on top of the fold (as seen in the picture) by the same size as the height of the card,
Repeating all the way until the end.
I retraced my steps and did the same with the other pillow case.
Once I finished folding, I added a rubber band in the middle of the square from each side. I decided to add 2 more to create a 1/3 separation from the edges and add to the effect. When I adjusted the rubber bands, one pillow case looked like a rectangle compare to the other that looked square. It was fine, barely noticeable at the end.
My Amazon order with the tie dye powder. Best quality ever.
The tie dye comes in a tube with powder. I had to add the correct amount of water to it and shake before I could use it. I decided to use light blue and royal blue as the Shibori technique is usually with blue palette. I placed my pillow cases in a ceramic sink (easy to clean) and used rubber band and apron to cover my hands and clothes, as these colours are VERY strong and basically paint everything they touch.
I added light blue to almost all the cover case, before I added the dark blue. I thought it could create a cool effect (it didn't, not really noticeable).
I covered all sides, faces and edges with colour, creating a Zebra effect.
I repeated the same steps with the other pillow case.
Then, I placed them both inside a plastic bag, and left it to cure and rest for 6 hours. I didn't seal the bag completely, to allow fast drying and let it breathe and not gain any unwanted smells.
After long 6 hours of waiting (I am so impatient!) it was finally time to reveal my Shibori art, I couldn't hide my excitement. First, I washed it under cold running water, removing some of the colours and mainly stoping the dye to continue painting the fabric.
Then, I squeezed all the water out and set it to rest for 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes I washed it again in hot water until the water were clean.
Then, I placed it to dry and called my husband so we could admire the creation of art together.
Then, with a really small amount of detergent I placed it inside the washer for a short cycle with hot water. Afterwards, I placed it in the dryer.
Then, it was ready to be used. I decided to add tie dye to my duvet cover and create a set, but this is a different story....
Good night :)