Can I spray Clear Matte spray paint on a real tree ?

+11

So the other day, I cut down some of my ficus tree because I wanted to put it in doors but I don't want to put in water or anything. The main thing I am trying to do is for decorating my house. And you know the cost of buying a fake ficus tree can run expensive. Has anyone ever tried spraying a real tree with a clear matte coat? Again this is just for decorating purposes only. Thankyou

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Feb 03, 2021

no there are chemicals in paint that can kill the tree and even attract bugs- you can buy a sealer from any hardware store or walmart that is used to seal off places you cut -it is called prune or pruning sealer

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 03, 2021

Hi! Are you trying to protect the branches or the gree?

• I've never heard of it being done, but I'd give it a try!

• The only worry I have is if you don't place it in water, the leaves would die eventually. I don't think spraying it will hurt it, though.

• Janice Janice on Feb 03, 2021

Be adventurous and do it! What have you got to lose? Let us know how it works out for you.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 03, 2021

Hi Joyce: I picked up some of those wild grasses for decorating and just sprayed them with hair spray to keep them from losing the seeds and whatnot. They have been great for several years. Maybe that will work for you.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 04, 2021

Hello,

It will be fine for a while then it will dry out and the leaves will fall, but it mat be long enough for what you want! Had you thought to make a tree yourself from silk plant material and twigs?

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 04, 2021

You could try spraying it, it will last for awhile and eventually the leaves will probably drop. I have had mixed results using hairspray (super hold) , all depended on the plants brought inside. Sounds like an interesting project.

• No it will kill the tree and it will go brown and nasty.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Feb 04, 2021

My dad has used clear coat on cattails with success so I would think this would work too

• Bushra Bushra on Feb 04, 2021

I wouldn't spray paint as spray paint the tree as the spray paint comes with chemical in it and the trees are alive so, it's better to avoid doing it.

• You can spray it, sure. You should let the wood dry out for a period of time first.

• Deb K Deb K on Feb 07, 2021

Hi Joyce, maybe give this a try, hope it helps,

Glycerin is used to preserve leaves on stems without pressing. This method of preserving leaves gives them a more natural appearance appropriate for dry arrangements. To preserve leaves and branches with glycerin, cut the branches 4 to 6 inches longer than you want the finished product. Cut branches in the morning.

• Doc Doc on Feb 24, 2021

We put a branch on living room wall 5 yrs ago. I used a sharp knife to scrape all bark from the branches (be careful not break small twigs) . Spray clear coat on all ! You can take the knife and clean up any scrapings. One screw at base and a copper clamp to finish. Looks great!