How to use power tools? All projects I want to do use smaller boards

+2
Than I have. So I bought a circular saw in preparation of instruction! Do all DIYers have husbands to do it for them?
  • Suzette Suzette on Jun 14, 2017
    Hi Maggie, I've been using power tools for years and years now. If you've never used them before it would be a good idea to make sure you take basic safety measures first! Always wear protective eye safety glasses! If I get a new power tool I'm not used to using, I will go to Youtube.com and in the search bar type in your question. You will be amazed at how may how to video's there are!

What's even better, is if you know someone that can actually show you how to use a particular tool!

Using power tools for the first time can be intimidating so please take extra care in using them!

Good Luck!!

• BJ Lyn BJ Lyn on Jun 14, 2017
    Pssh, husbands! :) Best investments I ever made when starting my first projects were a circular saw, palm sander and an inexpensive chop saw. (That's a saw that will cut 2 x 4 boards in one quick "chop".)

Read all the accompanying safety instructions, to start. Use safety glasses. Tie back long hair and anything else that dangles. I found in the beginning that the noise the tools made was more intimidating than the blades, so I also wear ear protection.

There are youtube videos to show you how to use anything.

Measure twice, cut once. Make sure the blade is on the outside of your measurement or your board will be short by a blade's width. Practice a few cuts on scrap.

Oh, and there are different kinds of blades. (Just to add to the confusion) A general purpose wood blade is acceptable for most things, but if you're cutting something fine/fancy/expensive, I'd spring for a more expensive ultra fine blade.

Now, go have fun with it!

• Jim RImmer Jim RImmer on Jun 14, 2017
    Second the youtube suggestions. It is much easier to show than it is to tell. Safety first.

• Martha Martha on Jun 14, 2017
    BE CAREFUL!!! we dont need husbands for our projects! the sound is very loud and scary at first so be careful. deffinatly ask someone who would know to show you or google and watch videos! you can get a new board but not a new finger.... safety first.

• Kenna Kenna on Jun 14, 2017
    ask you Tube. Also read the owner's manual that comes with your power tool.