Cement hands question

+6
When making cement hands with gloves the fingers always break off when I finished the hand. When I make concrete planters they flake and won't stand up stiff. What am I doing wrong?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 28, 2018
    Hi Andee, I'm thinking you may be mixing the concrete with too much water in it.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 28, 2018
    Maybe you are not mixing it correctly. Read the directions. If the fingers are coming off, if you put a heavy wire into the fingers of the gloves first, up to the wrist, that will give the fingers more stability. And, let them harden for a long time, maybe a week? As for the planters, mist them with water a couple of times every day. Also, make sure they are thick enough and not too tall. They may have too much stress on them. Are you using a form? If so, let the concrete harden a long time before you remove the forms.

• Thelma Thelma on Mar 28, 2018
      Thank you for that feed back. Will try your suggestions.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 28, 2018
    I would add a bit of white glue to your concrete mix to make it stronger. I would make some kind of armature to hold the glove in place, fingers down but not touching sides or bottom, like a plastic jumbo yogurt or margarine container, make a cardboard piece for the top with an opening to pour and to lay across the top, tape the glove in place with duct tape. After its dried, and you take off the glove, if its still flaky mix up a bit more concrete kinda like syrup consistency with a bit of glue, and paint the hand with it after spritzing with a light mist of water. Concrete will only stick to concrete if its damp. I would use white portland cement to consistency of oatmeal.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 28, 2018
    Oh and you could add some fiberglass fibers to the mix to make it stronger too.

• Thelma Thelma on Mar 28, 2018
    Thank you,those are some good tips. I wont give up. I love craft.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 30, 2018
    Great, hope it all works out for you. Are you using Quikcrete? That stuff is really nice. The cement should be about as thick as peanut butter.