This year I'm using Adirondack baskets with floral arrangements which I created for my front door Fall decor. Here's a step-by-step tutorial and list of supplies so you can create your own, for any season. Fall is only the beginning!
Adirondack Floral Basket Arrangement Tutorial
Supplies for Each Arrangement:
- 1 Large Basket (a similar, thrifted basket could be used, but mine are Ballard Designs Adirondack, purchased on sale with free shipping and excluded from cost of this project)
- Plastic Bubble Wrap as bottom filler (mine came from package shipments received)
- 3 Dry Floral Foam (singles available at Dollar Tree, 3-pack available at WalMart)
- 10 -11 choice florals (4 or 5 like pairs) from Dollar Tree, each pair 12-15" (mine are 4 like pairs (8), plus 3 unique stems, for a total of 11 stems)
3 longer floral stems, 21" or so (mine are 1 like pair, 1 unique, purchased at local drug store for $3 each)
Lay all your florals out in like pairs, along with all other supplies, on a working surface.
Roll bubble wrap and place in base of basket until at least half full, adjusting amount of bubble wrap if necessary. You will add three dry floral foam blocks on top of the filler.
Starting with what I'll call Layer 1, using the tall pair of like florals as the center point, arrange your choice of two pairs of the shorter stems symmetrically on either side (see picture below). This will eventually be inserted into the piece of foam at the back of the inside your basket (Foam block 1). Continue arranging the floral for each of the foam blocks (3).
Keeping with how you layered the florals - 1, 2, and 3 - insert those stems in each respective block of foam, 1 being the back piece in the basket, 2 being the middle piece, and 3 being the front piece.
After working with each layer in similar fashion, you should have a full basket. What I did next was take that final, third layer of floral stems and started bending them forward, as if they were spilling from the basket. You can adjust any of the stems similarly. This is my fall season arrangement, but wheels are turning as to how I'll redo the basket for the holiday season! See my blog link provided for even more details on this step-by-step process.
- 3 blocks dry floral foam (Dollar Tree, WalMart)
- Faux floral stems (Dollar Tree, Local drug store)
- Choice Basket (Thrift Store)
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Published October 15th, 2018 12:00 AM