After my parents passed away, it was quite a job to empty their house and my father’s shop. I was cleaning in his shop one day and ran across 4 vintage wooden ceiling fan blades. Because they were “real” wood, I brought them home with me. My father owned his own timber company in his day and all of us children were brought up to appreciate the beauty of wood. I knew that when the time was right that I would get my inspiration of how to use them. I finally decided that I would use them to encase a clear glass “generic” florist vase to give it some PIZZAZ! I wanted to be able to use this piece with artificial OR with fresh flowers. I decided how tall I wanted the blades to be and marked each blade. Next, I knew that I wanted to “lace” them together. My sweet hubby and I worked together to decide how many holes to drill into each blade. Because of the blade’s edge going from smaller at the bottom to very slightly larger at the top, we marked the spots on each blade and hubby cut the blades off and drilled the holes. He doesn’t want me using the saw. 😘
Ceiling Fan Blades Transformation To Vase Encasement
I took some Dawn liquid detergent and scrubbed the grunginess off all the blades. I dried them off and I then started lacing up the four blades. I had these brassy gold/orange shoe laces. I got this far joining them together with them but then decided I didn’t like the color of the laces. They were just too orangey to suit me.
I then remembered I had what I thought was a SET of leather shoe laces here at home. Well, I located them, or I should say IT. I obviously had used one for something else but couldn’t remember what. 🤪 So, I went to Walmart and found some leather laces. They were $4.00 for the pair. I bought a set. Each lace was 72 inches long so I figured that using both laces would be enough leather to complete my task. I began to lace up the blades with the leather ones and this is how they look completed. I got all four sides done with just one set of laces. 🙌🙌🙌 I like the leather against the wood MUCH better that the other ones.
Because the blades have no bottom to them, hubby cut me a square base to glue the blades on. The blades are so thin that they can’t be nailed to the base. I painted the base with several coats of black paint to give this piece some contrast. Used my trusty E6000 to secure the blades to the base. Here is the finished piece. I found these fall looking florals upstairs and put them into the vase and encasement. I really like the look of this project. Can’t wait to change it with different florals throughout the next year. Now to decide what to make with the leftover pieces of ceiling fan blades. 🤔 Creativity never ends at my house. Lol
Oops, I completely forgot to show you what I meant by a “generic” clear glass vase. 🤪 Here are three different ones that I had handy. You get the idea.