Learn how to make painted terracotta pots with a cute watermelon design for fun painted planter ideas for your outdoor home and garden decor.
How to Make Painted Terracotta Pots: Watermelon Painted Planter Ideas
Painting pots or planters is an easy way to elevate your planters for a fresh new look that matches your home decor. I painted my terracotta pots to look like watermelons. However, the design ideas for painted planters and literally endless! You can also paint abstract designs or patterns on your planter pots. Basically anything you can dream up you can use paint to decorate your terracotta flower pots.
These painted terracotta pots are a fun and fresh way to decorate your clay pots for use on your porch or patio. Discover how to paint terracotta flower pots with a cute watermelon design with this easy craft tutorial for painting terracotta pots.
This painted terracotta pot idea is decorated using acrylic paints for a super cute painted terracotta plant pot. Once painted, add herbs or flowers for a unique way to decorate your favorite outdoor spaces. Or gift these adorable painted flower pots to neighbors, friends, family or teachers.
How to Prep a Clay Pot for Paint
You can prep a clay pot to paint in one of three ways, depending on how you will be using your painted terracotta pots. The first step, however, is to clean your flower pots. Once the clay flower pots are clean, you can choose to use a sealer or primer.
Alternately, you can also paint directly onto the clay pot.
Here are the three ways to prepare your planters for paint:
- To paint a terracotta pot without any additional steps, simply start with a clean, dry terracotta pot. Apply the paint directly to the pot. (Learn how to clean a terracotta pot here.)
- If you want more vibrant colors on your planter, you can apply a water based primer before the paint. This will help your colors pop while still allowing the pot to breathe. You do not need to use a primer, however, if you are using chalk paint.
- Finally, you can seal the flower pots prior to painting using a waterproof sealer. This will give your outdoor planters more durability. However, it also affects the clay pots ability to breathe. Therefore, if you use a waterproof sealer, take care not to overwater your plants.
Once you’ve primed or sealed your terracotta flower pot, it is ready to be painted. Alternately, for small craft pots or indoor use, you can skip this step.
Supplies and Materials
These are the supplies and materials you need to make watermelon painted planters:
- Terracotta pots Green acrylic paint: You will need several shades of green paint for these painted terracotta pots. I used Deco Art Americana Festive Green, Irish Moss, Pistachio Mint and Forest Green paint.
- Pink acrylic paint: You can use a pink of your choice. Or, to use the same color I chose for my painted planters, use Deco Art Americana Wild Berry paint.
- Small to medium size foam brush
- Small paint brush
- Black permanent marker or paint marker White paint marker, optional
- Clear acrylic sealer: This supply is optional, however, it will help your painted planter designs last longer if using outside as part of your home and garden decor. If your painted terracotta pots will be displayed in full sun, I recommend using a UV-resistant sealer.
- Paper plate or artist’s palette
How to Paint Terracotta Pots
Here is how to make watermelon painted terracotta planters:
1. Pour small amounts of several shades of green acrylic craft paint onto a paper plate or an artist’s palette. I used four shades of green for this home and garden decor project. While you don’t need to use four shades of green paint, I do recommend using at least two shades to decorate these watermelon painted planters.
2. Once you’ve selected the green paint colors, paint the lip of the terracotta flower pot with a medium green paint using a foam brush. Don’t forget to cover the very top of the clay pot. Allow the first coat of paint to dry. Then follow with a second coat of the green paint.
3. After the second coat of green paint dries, you will use the tip of the foam brush to dab the other green paints onto the painted surface. Dip the brush into the green paint color of your choice, then again onto a clean area of the palette to remove any excess paint from the brush. Then dab vertical lines of paint onto the top of the base coat to create the outside pattern of the watermelon rind. Repeat the process with each additional green paint color until you have a design you like.
4. Once the painted top of the terracotta pot is dry, use a clean foam brush to paint the lower section of the clay planter using the pink acrylic paint. Allow the paint to fully dry. Then apply a second coat of pink paint if needed.
5. Next, use the small paint brush to apply a light green line of paint where the pink and green areas meet. Let dry.
6. Now use a black permanent marker or a black paint pen to draw seeds onto the pink portion of the planter. Simply use the marker to create small teardrop shapes to mimic watermelon seeds.
7. If you’d like to create a face for your watermelon painted planters, use a black paint pen to draw two eyes and a smile onto the front of your painted terracotta flower pots. Then place a dot inside each eye using a white paint pen.
8. Finally, spray the watermelon painted planters with a clear acrylic spray to seal the design, if desired.Now all that’s left is to fill your watermelon pot with dirt and plant herbs or flowers inside.