Antique Pew with Circular Piece attached to Hymnal Holder?

+14
I have an antique pew that was given to me FREE! I've restored it as much as possible, but would really love to know what this circular piece was for - there was another one on the other side of the holder. Any ideas? My mother's guess was for a lady's gloves, parasol, or umbrella...
q antique pew with circular piece attached to hymnal holder, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
q antique pew with circular piece attached to hymnal holder, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, The answer It was used for parasols umbrellas or canes thank you Angela Bell Wittrock on Your Funky Junk
The answer!! It was used for parasols, umbrellas, or canes...thank you Angela Bell Wittrock on Your Funky Junk! http://campbellhousemuseum.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/urban-exploring-trinity-lutheran-church/