How hard is it to put a free standing mantle piece shelf on a pre fabr

I have a functioning wood burning fireplace with pre fab brick work on the front of the fireplace I want to put a shelf up to act as a mantelpiece bot the screws will not hold the weight of the shelf, The anchors that I used will not catch on the backside of the brick work.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 17, 2017
    Do you have any idea what material the pre-fab surface is made out of?Could you post a picture of your mantle, the shelf, and the screws/hardware you have tried already that do not hold? That way more Hometalkers would be able to give answers that are specific to your situation.

• Cat6169281 Cat6169281 on Dec 17, 2017
      it appears to be painted on brick when I drilled a pre-hole to put the anchor through, the material disintegrated, unfortunately I don't have a good camera on my phone to download a picture. the house was built in 1976. I don't know if that helps.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 18, 2017
    Yes, knowing that the house was built in 1976 is helpful, as generally builder-grade houses from that era had lots of vinyl, thin veneer instead of solid wood, and hollow instead of solid interior finishings.