How to decorate the back of a China cabinet?

+11
I am using a nearly 7 foot tall China cabinet as a room divider and need to decorate the back of it. About 1/2 of the back is in view. What can be done to make it attractive? Thanks!
  • Lora Lora on Jun 10, 2017
    If the back is not finished you can likely stain it. That will help. You could hang some wall art on it as well.

• Kay11137840 Kay11137840 on Jun 10, 2017
    Depending on the the room the back wil be facing, perhaps wallpaper, or a "rogues gallery" of armed family photos....

• Paint it, wall paper it, even gift wrap can look great. Just do not choose a pattern that is too busy that may take away items you wish to highlight in your display.

• Becky Partain Becky Partain on Jun 10, 2017
    You could try bead board, paint it whatever color you want and hang a picture.
    I also like the wallpaper idea previously mentioned.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 10, 2017
    I have done fabric and my favorite is a roll of grass cloth wall paper. Spray adhesive makes it fast, trim edges with an X-acto blade or single-edge razor blade. Be sure to put a drop cloth under the piece to account for over-spray or you will have a sticky mess.
    You can also get foam core boards at the dollar tree in a color, get some wooden frames and make the back the family photo centre. I use Dollar Tree or thrift store for frames.

• Uhu10812292 Uhu10812292 on Jun 13, 2017
      Thank you, Sharon. My brother is an artist and my husband and I have talked about displaying some of his smaller art work on the cabinet back. It is good to know others have used this idea, too. However, we are still considering just what we want to do.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jun 10, 2017
    Although only a portion is seen do the entire back so that when you move it in the future it looks complete. But before you do any of those great ideas live with the set up a while and see if you like it and if everytime a person walks by it if everything shakes.it sounds like the dining room is to small for this but you may be able to have it in there if you don't have table perfectly centered. And you remove all the leaves the table has so it only fits your current family that lives with you. You can always leave unused chairs along a wall and or around the cabinet.

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Jun 10, 2017
    Get some canvas and make an art piece that compliments your decor. Use tacks with decorative heads placed around the border to attach it. You could apply wallpaper to it. You could just paint it. You could stain a piece of luann and cover the back. You could mount a mirror on it. You could cover it with fabric.

• Uhu10812292 Uhu10812292 on Jun 14, 2017
    Good ideas. Thank you!