How to get a "country cottage" feel for my 1980's bathroom?

My 80's bathroom in the main hallway also serves as the powder room for guests. I'm trying to start decorating in a country cottage style in my one-story retirement home. Physical and budget limitations prohibit wallpaper stripping/painting. The wallpaper is sort of "old fashioned" tiny floral print, which helps. There is no window. The countertop is a vivid aqua/green on a honey-oak vanity with a very large oak framed mirror. Sink/tub/commode are bisque colored. I just purchased an ivory lace shower curtain. Any suggestions as to how to get a cottage feel going in there? Thanks!
  • Jaye Jaye on May 05, 2015
    I would hang a mirrored window-paned window to hang to give the illusion of a window.

• Patricia Taylor Patricia Taylor on May 05, 2015
    I painted and distressed two old shutters, one larger than the other and hung them as shelves with the smaller under the large one. I use baskets on the top one for storing essentials out of sight and for extra towels. the lower one is decorative with potpourri, small votives etc.

• Kate Kate on May 05, 2015
    You'd get your biggest impact from painting the honey oak. If your physical limitations would prevent that, perhaps you have a friend or relative who'd be willing to do it in exchange for some dynamite cooking, baking, mending, tutoring, etc? A soft white, not a bright-bright, glossy white would do wonders for transforming the look and bringing it into your cottage vision.