How to make a bird bath?

+2
Whatwhat materials when I need
  • VENA SILLIPHANT VENA SILLIPHANT on Jun 03, 2017
    Two things to remember for the bowl, make the water shallow, 2-3 inches and DO NOT USE METAL. You want to put it in the sun. You should be refilling it daily as it evaporates, standing water will harbour mosquitoes and algae, neither of which you want. Metal heats up too much in the sun so the birds will not use it very much. Stick with lighter colours as they will not heat up the water as much and will hide the "poop" better. I personally prefer pottery or ceramic as I tend to expect glass to prism in the sun and I don't want any heat "laser" onto any of my plants. The stand can be anything you have that will be stable and support the weight of the bowl. WARNING my neighbour's cat often comes to my yard and jumps up to take a drink (have never seen him go after the birds, though) so build strong, just in case.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 03, 2017
    www.hometalk.com/4106782/birdbaths-garden-birds.diy

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Jun 03, 2017
    I used the bottom tray from an old flower pot. It was large enough and shallow enough, so I literally just put it in place and filled it with water. My yard squirrel seems to love it as much as the birds do!

• Judymgibbs Judymgibbs on Jun 04, 2017
    I helped my daughters make one using a leaf we cut from my elephant ear plant and concrete mix. if you want to try it spread out a tarp or large piece of plastic on a level place. Then get a bag or two(depending on size of the leaf) of sand and pour it in a pile on the tarp. When you place the leaf on the pile of sand make sure you move the sand under the leaf to get the shape you want. Next mix your concrete mix a bit thicker that normal. It should be about the same as brownie mix. Put a rubber glove on your hand and put the concrete mixture on the leaf until it is covered. Make sure you cut the stem off before you apply the concrete. Let it dry over night then carefully pick it up and sit it on the back so you can remove the leaf. I painted mine and sealed it with a spray sealer. It looks really cool when you are done. Good luck!

• Diane May Wehrman Diane May Wehrman on Jun 12, 2017
    I made a really cool birdbath from left over bricks (28), 2 pavers, and a birdbath bowl. You could use the bottom of a large terra cotta flower pot as the bowl. I just need to add some succulents.