Asked on Dec 15, 2015

How do I make a bunny ear curtain?

Narisa Marino
by Narisa Marino
I'd like to make bunny ear inspired curtains.
  9 answers
  • Lindy Lindy on Dec 15, 2015
    If you're referring to the photo above it's called a Jabot (ja-bow) or French Jabot curtain treatment. Google "How to make a jabot curtains or valance". It's not a beginners project=the ones in the photo are lovely.
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Dec 15, 2015
    Lindy is not quite correct. A jabot is the outside pleated part of the window treatment in the photo. The center, curved part, is called a swag and what you are referring to as "'bunny ears" are goblet pleats. Yes, this treatment isn't the easiest one to fabricate but it can be done. Pay attention, though, the pattern design of the fabric is kept perfect and level all across the treatment. My first suggestion is to go to your nearest fabric store that carries pattern books and look in the " home decor" section and see if you can find what you are looking for. It may take some sleuthing. Here's a link featuring something similar to your look:
    • See 2 previous
    • Lindy Lindy on Dec 18, 2015
      Me too, but I try to clean up my act to pristine because I got called out on an omg once (not here). I wish we could have a "Hometalk Convention" because the ladies on this site are once fun group.
  • Lucy Nunn Lucy Nunn on Dec 15, 2015
    There are patterns for similar styles....Butterick, Simplicity....Have fun!
  • Christine McCarthy Christine McCarthy on Dec 16, 2015
    Merrick and Day do some wonderful books, which will give you step by step instructions on how to achieve this look.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Dec 16, 2015
    This woman has many free tutorials on Youtube:
  • Shelia Shelia on Jul 30, 2021

    Hi Narrisa. Did you ever find out how to make the bunny ears valance? I’d like to make them also and have been searching but cannot find instructions or a pattern.



    • V Smith V Smith on Aug 30, 2022

      I just left an answer on August 30th 2022. I hope it helps.

  • Deb K Deb K on Aug 02, 2021

    Hello, hope this video helps you out,

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 16, 2022

    Hi, In U.K we call these Pelmets (cover many styles. Do you mean Swag and Tails.

    Patterns can be found for these in stores and on line.

  • V Smith V Smith on Aug 30, 2022

    There is a YouTube video "Simple Bell Curtain" by eVin's Work. It moves quickly but what I did was watch it all, then watch a little and make some notes, watch a little more and make some more notes until I finished it. It makes me a little nuts because she railroads a directional fabric, but getting past that it is helpful in getting you to see how the "bells" are formed beginning with a retangle of fabric. Instruction for the swag and jabots are common and can be found everywhere. To develope your technique for the "ears" I would suggest you do a simple mock-up with scrap fabric until you get the look you want. If you plan to use a board for mounting there is no need to sew the valance together as one long piece. Good Luck.