How to make the edges of this runner stay flat?

+27
The runner in question (pink one) is flat woven but thick. It doesn't have the rubber backing so the corners aren't as flat on the floor. Runner is staying put on the hardwood floor without any pad underneath. For now at least.
q how to make the edges of this runner stay flat
  • Mow29857001 Mow29857001 on Dec 04, 2017
    Get a square (12 by 12 or larger), self adhesive, flexible tile. Cut it corner to corner so you have 4 triangle shaped pieces. Align the triangle to the underneath side of the corner and carefully remove the protective covering. Repeat for the other 3 corners and it should take care of corner curling problem. A rectangle cut from another tile will take care of curling sides.

• See 1 previous
    • Sonia Soni Sonia Soni on Dec 18, 2017
      Thanks for the idea. 👍I might have to go for a quick fix RightNow but will get to this solution over the spring break. 😊

• You could try placing something heavy on the corners overnight or, spray the corners with water, cover with a clean cloth and iron on a low setting. Good luck!

• Sonia Soni Sonia Soni on Dec 18, 2017
      this idea sounds easy to do. I will start out with this 😊👌🏻

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 04, 2017
    Try using double sided tape

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 04, 2017
    could you use a twist tie that comes in garbage bags, or a tie from some products you buy that have twist ties to hold them in place in a package (usually longer than the garbage twist ties) and weave it into the fabric in a straight line? The wire would hold it down straight. Maybe do it with several going each direction from the corner? Also available might be floral wire you find at nurseries. That is what I would do.

• Dena Roberts Dena Roberts on Dec 04, 2017
    Self stick floor tile, cut into triangles and afixed to the underside of each corner will stop it from curling up.

• Ronda Ronda on Dec 04, 2017
    Could you push a heavier piece of wire into the weave, It might take only a few inches.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 05, 2017
    Could you display it on a wall to avoid a tripping danger? I’ve see beautiful creations like this displayed as pieces of art, with paintings, and a clock. If you did this runner, please do or collect others. 😇

• Sonia Soni Sonia Soni on Dec 18, 2017
      I wish I could spare it for display. My floor and hallway need an extra pop of color that this will bring. But if none of the ideas work I'll use your suggestion. Thanks. 😊

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 09, 2017
    I use double-sided tape for things like this.

• Sonia Soni Sonia Soni on Dec 18, 2017
      I'm tempted to go that route but concerned if it would leave marks on the hardwood floor ?

• Ro Ro on Dec 17, 2017
    Go to your local glass shop. Glass is shipped with plastic corner guards to prevent chipping. They'll usually give them to you for free. Slip over the rug corners & tack down with a finishing nail that ALSO goes thru the carpet. Minimal damage to rug & floor.

• See 1 previous
    • Ro Ro on Dec 18, 2017
      This fix has the added advantage of keeping the rug on the floor - & NOT IN YOUR VACUUM!!!

• Mary Lou Mary Lou on Dec 18, 2017
    Sewing rubber canning rings to the edges that curl.

• See 1 previous
    • Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 18, 2017
      Sonia, there are many different styles of canning jars and lids. The style that requires a separate rubber ring is an older style. The newer type has the rubber (or silicone) sealing ring integrated into the lid.
      That's a mini lesson.
      As for your rug, I would say that the rubber canning rings would not be heavy enough to hold the rug down, nor adhere enough to anchor the rug down to the floor. Sewing rubber rings on to the end will not eliminate the trip hazard of the corners, as the fabric is so thick and there is no solid rubber backing across the entire bottom of the rug.

• Dee Dee on Dec 18, 2017
    double stick tape ????

• Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 18, 2017
      Double sided tape, sometimes sold as carpet tape in the wider widths, will be effective in holding down the brown mat in the top of the picture, as this mat is already has a flat solid rubber backing.
      The tape will not be as effective in securing the pink mat to a degree that it is a safe, no-tripping hazard, as this mat does not already have a backing, is a less dense weave to begin with.
      Also the ends of this pink mat are already beginning to work loose which indicates either :
      1/ It was not made for longevity in the first place
      2/ It has past its life span for use on the floor
      3/ Even if the corners are tacked down, the ends in the rest of the mat are going to continue to come loose in the same way

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 18, 2017
    Please just make it safe for whomever lives in your home. 😇

• Karen Reilly Karen Reilly on Dec 22, 2017
    I wonder if you could take a slim piece of corrugated plastic and then add sleeve on the back of your rug think like a curtain rod then your rug would be flat.