How do I properly mount a TV on a wall?

Tried to mount a tv bracket to an outer wall of a room in my daughter's house. I found the studs and drilled into it but when I tried attaching the lag screw it stopped about 3/4 of the way. It would not budge after that and started stripping the head. Her house was built in the 80's and it was a wooden stud I hit...not metal. Her house is not brick so I don't know what it could be that is stopping me from attaching the lag screws all the way. Any ideas/recommendations? Thank you for looking and your insight.

• Randy Randy on Jan 21, 2019

Take it out and predrill a hole a bit smaller than the core of the lag screw. Then put a new lag screw in and it should go right in. NB you also could be hitting a protective metal plate over an electrical wire passing through the stud. Assure you have tested for this or look for evidence on the screw. Try a small diameter wood screw and if it doesn't go there is something aside from wood in the way like a plate or iron pipe: stop.

• Shansmow Shansmow on Jan 21, 2019

Thank you. I tried doing a smaller drill and wood screw and it hit whatever is there. I didn't think about it being a protective metal plate. Guess I'll try another location. Thanks again for the insight.

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jan 21, 2019

I’ll just throw one possibility out there. Make sure to pre-drill into the studs. Be sure that the drill bit is no bigger than the root diameter (the bottom part of the threads. Doing so will accomplish two things: 1...it will make it easier to screw in the lag screws, 2...it will drill through anything that is blocking your screw from going in all the way. One word of caution though...if there is plumbing in the wall GO NO FURTHER! Plumbers put metal protectors over pipes to keep people from drilling into them (see picture below).

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 21, 2019

You may have hit a knot or another screw. Try filling a hole a size smaller than the screw. Make sure that is not plumbing in wall or a HVAC vent.