Thread on wooden spools is it better or worse than new thread?

+9
  • Mis23247387 Mis23247387 on Dec 25, 2017
    The thread on wooden spools is perfect for 100% cotton fabrics or any other fabrics without stretch. It's stronger than new thread but has little stretchability.
    New thread is mostly polyester and stretches well.

• Carol Arthur Carol Arthur on Dec 25, 2017
      THANK YOU. I tried using some of the old thread & you are correct. It did not stretch with the fabric & I made a big mess. Now I know for a fact you are 100% correct. Thank you again for your knowledge.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 25, 2017
    Whatever the difference is, it is not as durable as the old thread I remember. It seems like so many things are not made to last these days. Even appliances that used to last twenty years don't last even half as long anymore.

• See 2 previous
      You are right again. My first set lasted thru rearing 4 kids.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 25, 2017
    Mfgrs haven't used wooden spools in decades and threads containing natural fibers (cotton) will gradually rot.

A good quality thread that is produced today will last much longer than thread which was produced 15 or 20 years ago. Even the best quality cotton thread of a generation ago did not have the advanced processing techniques available to us today and it would probably be best to not sew or quilt with old thread that exists today.

However, a high-quality cotton thread that is manufactured today, like MasterPiece and King Tut, will probably be fine to use in 40 or 50 years from now.

Why will threads that are manufactured today last longer than threads manufactured 20 years ago? The difference is due to the advancements in spinning, dyeing, and twisting technology and the evolution of genetic engineering better cotton plants. Because cotton is a natural fiber, it will degrade over time. A good test to check whether or not the cotton threads you have been given are OK to use in your machine is to hold about a one foot section between both hands and pull apart. If the thread snaps (you should feel a nice, crisp break), then it is OK to use. If the thread just separates and pulls apart easily (think of pulling a cotton ball apart), we don't recommend using it.

As for polyester thread, the color may fade over the years with exposure to sunlight, but there is no evidence that the thread deteriorates like cotton threads, so it's safe to say that synthetic fibers will last longer.

@Nancy Turner
    You are so right. We live in a disposable world. Lower quality products so we have to purchase more.

THANK YOU for being so informative. This is very helpful. I'm not into making crafts with the spools so I suppose I'll just get rid of it all. Thank you again.

• TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Dec 25, 2017
    Use the synthetic thread it's strong and lasts fore

Thank you for your assistance in resolving my issue.

• M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 25, 2017
    I disagree with some of this. I have purchased cotton thread on wooden spools every time I see it, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.. It really depends on how the previous owner stored it and the level of quality of the original manufacturer...
    Since I sew mostly fabric in natural fibers,I like to find 100%cotton, silk, linen, etc. I always test a thread by breaking a small piece in my fingers and looking at the break. I have some 60 year old linen thread that I cannot break with my fingers, it's still as strong as the day it was made. Yes, it's true that wood is not archival. But I have not had a problem with old thread. At most,I have to unwind the top layer because the color may have faded a bit. Synthetic threads will cut through garments,esp with machine washing and drying. I'd love to have your wooden spools with thread on them! Are you serious about getting rid of them?!?