What kind of paint can I use to apply to Terra Cotta flower pots? I want to paint and decorate some and put them outside

+8
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc. Peace Painting Co., Inc. on May 14, 2012
    You can buy latex porch and floor paint in quarts. It works great with no priming. Chas.

• Dorene H Dorene H on May 14, 2012
    i have used regular craft paints before

Any kind of latex will do, the exterior ones will just last longer outside.

• Linda A Linda A on May 15, 2012
    Thank you for all the info. Will get some.

• Leona P Leona P on May 19, 2012
    I just use Acrylics on mine, but would like to try the latex. Love painting terra cotta!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc. Peace Painting Co., Inc. on May 20, 2012
    Leona, acrylic and latex are virtually the same thing.

• Linda T Linda T on May 20, 2012
    Go to the craft store and pick up any acrylic paint or they have paint specially made for that. I paint a lot of terra cotta flower pots an all I use is the acrylic paint.

• Leona P Leona P on May 21, 2012
    Thanks! Have a few projects to start soon with terra cotta.

• Betsy Wilson Betsy Wilson on Jun 08, 2015
    I hv used acrylic, but intend to seal them.....next time I will spray paint. Sealing is the key, although I hv not sealed before painting......using a matte seal for my project.

• Linda kelley Linda kelley on Apr 24, 2016
      @Betsy Wilson That's so smart to apply a seal. I do that with my terra cotta pots. They will eventually erode if not sealed especially if they come in constant contact with water.

• Susan Ziegler Susan Ziegler on Apr 13, 2016
    I use pruning sealer spray on the inside and spray latex paint on the outside. Of course that seals them completely so the point of terra cotta being porous is wasted. I like to paint my pots white. It's a good look and the same color is not so cluttery for me since I have so many scattered around inside and out..