Upcycled Pickle Jar
Earlier today I saw a post for a lovely Mason Jar turned Mercury glass flower vase and couldn't wait to make one. Only problem was, although I had the required spray paint, I didn't want to use a Mason jar on my first attempt. So...to the recycle bin I went! Nothing. On to the fridge! Found the perfect pickle jar with only one left!
Had a couple hours until BBQ guests arrived, why not use the time to create! After washing the jar, a little acetone and Goo Gone took the labels and print right off with minimal effort.
Nice and clean!
I had the Rustoleum Mirror Effect paint from another project. Mixed the 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water in an old spray bottle, grabbed a cotton cloth and set out to the yard.
The post I read said to spray the inside of the jar with paint and while it was still wet, lightly mist with the water mixture and dab with a cloth. When I stayed the paint inside it ran down the sides and seemed quite wet already. I swirled it around to get coverage around the lip of the jar first. After misting the inside and dabbing it with the cloth, the paint all seemed to come off. Hmm. Tried again with another very light coat of paint and the water marks seemed to appear more like Mercury glass. Let it dry a few minutes and THEN dabbed with the cloth. After setting it aside for about 20 minutes more it was dry and looked more like what I had envisioned. I think it is a matter of trial and error to get the desired look.
Made a bow with some craft rope I had on hand and cut a few blooms from the yard. Simple but pretty I think! Perfect addition to the table outside!
Published July 5th, 2015 10:37 AM
2 of 139 comments