Updated Lampshade With Sewing Pattern
I wanted to add a little interest to a corner lamp on my porch and I was looking for something other than a new lampshade so I started digging and had an "a ha" moment in my craft room
I made a pass through my craft room and spotted an old lampshade I had purchased because, you know, I never throw out something that could be repurposed! I liked the Kraft paper color but alone it was too boring. Then I remembered I had a cool vintage sewing pattern that I was probably never going to use. And some Mod Podge...
This pattern had over 40 pieces! I started cutting out the pieces and the bits of wording and instructions and before too long I had a big old stack of medium to start glueing on the old shade. I tried to keep the pieces so they'd still be readable and just kept adding layers...and layers...and more layers
After finally using up all my bits and pieces of the patterns, I let the lampshade sit and dry. After it was dry, I gave the whole darn thing two coats of Mod Podge as a final sealer. Once that was done, I couldn't wait to put it on the porch!
All done! I love the details and wording and I think the new shade really adds some whimsy and neat detail to what was a blah little corner of my porch. The light shines through enough to add a glow!
- Lampshade (Thrift store (a long time ago!))
- Mod Podge (Already had this as well as sponge brushes)
- Vintage McCall's sewing pattern (Thrift store (just had to have it!))
Published May 24th, 2016 1:25 PM
2 of 4 comments