Can I sheet rock over existing sheet rock?

+3
  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Jul 04, 2018
    I would not but that is my personal opinion!

• Toolaholic Toolaholic on Jul 04, 2018
    By sheetrock I presume you are talking about drywall board? Yes you can apply new board over existing board. You will need to find the wall studs to secure the new board and make sure to use longer screws to attach the new board. you will lose a little bit of room area with the new board, but, not a lot. They do make and sell different thicknesses of drywall, however 1/2 inch is the most common and generally least expensive. If this is to cover cracking in the existing walls you may have limited success cover the walls as the underlying reason for the cracking may transmit through the new board. Good luck.

• Janice Janice on Jul 04, 2018
    Yes, you certainly can add an additional layer of sheet rock, but remember you'll need to also redo/remount your electrical outlets and switches! (because of the additional thickness).

• Deb K Deb K on Jul 04, 2018
    Your room will get a little smaller, but for sure you can, make sure you mark the existing studs so you hit them and you will need long screws, not sure why you would want to do this.

• William William on Jul 04, 2018
    Definitely you can. As Janice says you will need to use spacers behind the outlets and switches to bump them out level with the new drywall. Similar when tiling walls. You don't need to do anything with the boxes. They do sell 1/4" and 3/8" drywall.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jul 04, 2018
    you can..... but why would you want to?