How can I cover brown wall paneling?

+2

Old brown wall panel in living room, need something inexpensive to cover it up beside painting it

• Ariel Ariel on Oct 29, 2019

Have you considered removable wallpaper? It's cheap, looks great and easy to hang. I put it in my kitchen. You can see it here https://www.pmqfortwo.com/diy-removable-wallpaper-backsplash/

• Sandy Sandy on Oct 29, 2019

best bet for me is to just paint the paneling which i think you will end up doing any way sooner or later? My sister did this to my parents paneling and it looks very nice you really cannot tell its paneling unless you look really hard..Putting up wall paper is a hassle depends on the pattern, up to you, good luck.

• Marie R. Neal Marie R. Neal on Oct 29, 2019

My sister-in-law did the Suede Painting technique over her wall paneling-- looks great-- has been over 10 yrs ago and still shows no wear.

once you cut the shellac that is on the paneling-- I've seen it painted with Latex paint.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Oct 29, 2019

You can do a faux shiplap by cutting strips of 1/4" plywood to attach to the wall and paint. If that's your thing. If you want to cover it with wallpaper you'd have to first do a skim-coat to fill all the groves and give it a smooth finish like a regular wall.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 29, 2019

You can drape fabric over the paneling or do large wall hangings.