How do I remove or cover indoor stucco walls?

we want to remove or cover indoor thick stucco on walls in family room, too hard to clean or paint.

• Ellis Ellis on Jan 06, 2019

Find an inconspicuous corner and check to see how it's applied. In a kitchen we had, the previous owner had applied it over vinyl wallpaper! All we had to do was find an edge and pull the vinyl off the wall, stucco coating and all. Also, in other places where they had applied it, we found it was made of joint compound, and steaming it softened it and let us scrape it off. We got lucky because they had done everything wrong!

• 25681096 25681096 on Jan 07, 2019

I am afraid this isn't just joint compound but will try your suggestion of steaming. It is in our family room which has 12 -18 foot ceilings.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jan 06, 2019

Removing it would be a lot of work. You can add a skim coat of sheetrock joint compound if it isn't too textured. I would probably add a thin layer of sheetrock or add a tongue and groove wooden planks or ship lap. Whenever you add product to the wall, the electrical boxes will be recessed too far. They do sell junction box plastic extensions for a few dollars. That will allow you to bring the switched or receptacles out to where they belong.

• 25681096 25681096 on Jan 07, 2019

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I had thought of wood since there is some already there. The stucco is extremely thick.