How can I treat a 1960's brick wall to brighten it up?

+2

I will not paint it. It is in great shape and is an entire wall (8x14) with a fireplace. It it the longer smooth red 1960's brick. Is there some kind ofmoisten treatment available?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 04, 2019

What kind of treatment? Are you asking about sealing it? You can add brick sealer. Go to a free standing paint store and check out your options

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Jan 04, 2019

Is it glossy at all, if yes it's already been sealed, leave it alone moisture breaks down brick, if not seal it. Use a water repellent sealer. "Excessive moisture on bricks may damage the stone and result in a crumblingfireplace. Clean the brick surface first to avoid sealing in dirt and grime. After cleaning, use a water sealer appropriate for brick surfaces to seal your fireplaceproperly. Seal brick fireplaces with a water repellent sealer."

• Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jan 06, 2019

My suggestion is to seek the advice from a professional mason. Your wall sounds gorgeous and I admire you for not wanting to paint it. Best of luck.

• CJ CJ on Jan 06, 2019

Hi Lmh,

I appreciate your choice to not paint your brick!

How do you use this room?

Since you have such a large wall of brick, maybe you could decorate sections with lights, furniture and plants for specific uses? Even if you have plenty of windows in the room you need to have sufficient lighting at night. Brick often seems to absorb light at night creating a dark spot in the room. You have a lot of brick!

Here are my random thoughts:

1. I'm imagining a few larger plants, real or artificial arranged along a section of wall.

2. Maybe add a vinyl trellis against part of the brick wall and twine vines through it, again real or artificial.

You could use either backdrop for a reading space with a couple comfy chairs, a side table and maybe a bookcase. Alternately a small bistro table and chairs might work or a table and chairs suitable for puzzles or games. Use a few pieces of carefully chosen furniture to place along your wall.

3. There are curtain lights available that could be hung against the brick or find a lamp, or a few, you love to illuminate the space.

Just decide how you want to use and enjoy the space and have fun with it!

I hope I our someone else has sparked an idea for you. Please post with photo of whatever you decide to do, is love to see your brick wall!