How do I remove wallpaper?

+3

I need a good, easy way to remove wallpaper. Yvonne

• Annie Annie on Nov 24, 2019

If the wall paper is strippable it should be quite easy to remove just by pulling it off. If it's not strippable it will take awhile longer. Here's how to do that:

https://www.rd.com/home/improvement/how-to-remove-wallpaper/

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Nov 24, 2019

Hopefully it was installed with sizing on the wall. Be sure to use sizing before adding wallpaper. There are tools that will punch holes in the paper and then Wallpaper remover solution is applied to old paper to soften the glue. A putty knife can help pry away the paper.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Nov 28, 2019

If your wallpaper is strictly paper try spraying it with really hot water then pulling the top layer off. Keep spraying with really hot water and use a plastic putty knife to scrape the backing and glue off the wall. I did it this way in our bathroom and it was much easier than the wallpaper scorer and whatever chemical in the spray bottle they want you to use.

• Em Em on Nov 30, 2019

I am in the process now. I use a soggy microfiber towel (holds a lot of water) find the edge of a seam and pick a piece loose, start to peel the paper up. Wet the paper underneath with the wet rag and let it sit a few minutes. The wetter the paper gets the better and easier to peel. Once you get a piece off keep wetting the paper edges you see with the towel and keep dipping in a bucket to keep rag wet. Larger and larger pieces will peel as you work. The wheels you use to make holes in the paper make holes in the wall as well often and makes a mess of your wall. Make sure you SCRUB all of the glue off of the walls when the paper is off or you will have an ugly mess when you go to paint.

• I.bonnvon I.bonnvon on Nov 30, 2019

Add 1/4 cup water to spray bottle then fill it with liquid fabric softener. It works! I used it to remove 4 layers of wall paper. Use a putty knife to scrape stubborn patches off of wallpaper. Let it sit for a few minutes on stubborn spots. Wash wall after removing wallpaper.