How do you remove old wall paper using steam?

+2

I have my bed room the wall paper is been on for years, and is starting to peel off on its own. The top layer comes off but the second layer stays stuck to the wall. Once I remove the wall paper what is the next steps todo so I can start painting?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 24, 2019

I tried to steam but didn't have good results. Then I read about using fabric softener and IT WORKS! Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle. Lay a towel down on the floor to catch drippings. Saturate a section and wait about 10 minutes. Scrape with a plastic scraper. It should come off easily. The only way I can describe it is the solution "melts the adhesive".

I've heard you can use vinegar instead of fabric softener but I don't have personal experience with that. Plus I don't think I could handle the smell.

Once you remove it all, wipe down the walls with warm soapy water (Blue Dawn & microfiber for me).

Now you are ready to prime & paint or whatever you want to do.

• Amanda Campbell Adams Amanda Campbell Adams on Jan 24, 2019

They make a spray that loosens the wallpaper glue and makes it much easier to remove. Once you get all of the wallpaper off, use sandpaper to smooth out any rough or uneven surfaces, then wipe your walls down with warm water and a rag to remove any remaining debris.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jan 24, 2019

You want to make sure that all the glue is off before starting to paint so that the paint sticks to the wall correctly. Here is what we did in our sun room that had wall paper: https://www.aratariathome.com/blog/sun-room-paint-reveal

• Eileen Eileen on Jan 24, 2019

I would rent a high-quality steamer from Home Depot and then just take your time working on it.