How do I prepare a wall for wallpaper?

+2

Can you use peel & stick wallpaper on a semi gloss painted wall? If so, how do you get it clean from kitchen grease. The area is above the cabinets so I have to stand on the counter and bend my neck to avoid hitting the ceiling. I'm disabled after having neck and back surgery so I'm looking for an easy solution. Thank you.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jan 09, 2019

Hi Noni, if it is semi gloss you should be able to scrub it with hot water and dish soap to get the grease off of it. Then I think your wallpaper should stick fine.

• Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Jan 09, 2019

use a ladder.

• If you can't clean it how are you going to do the wallpaper? Dish soap, vinegar and water solution or TSP will work.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 09, 2019

Clean with a degreaser then warm soapy water afterwards. Use either a Little Giant type ladder or a work platform. Do not stand on the counter, you could end up with a serious injury.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Jan 09, 2019

Use degreaser ; Dawn dish soap & hot water; lightly sand to rough up( barely need it) tape it before you remove backing so it will be easier to apply you won't have to hold it up at same time. use non slip step stools so you are not up so high and can move around easier. It's definitely NOT worth getting hurt all over again. Make sure you have cell phone charged and in your pocket if you get hurt.