How do I remove a wall mural?

I have a wall mural that has been in my living room for years. I want to remove it and paint the wall. What is the best/easiest way to do this?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 19, 2019

Use Dif wallpaper remover with hot water and spray on with bug sprayer or spray bottle. Let it set for about 10 min, scrape with wide putty knife, keep it wet. Work in small areas at a time. Be patient.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 19, 2019

Hi Sunny! Assuming it's paper, I would do one of two things. A steamer may loosen it up enough to peel it off in large sections. Be careful with chemicals, because they may damage the finish. If you are desperate to keep it, you could remove that part of the wallboard it's on, in one piece and then replace it and patch it. Good luck! If there is another way, I hope someone suggests it!

• See 1 previous
    • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 20, 2019

Then, I would go with the steamer. I've used sprays, etc., and found them messy and less effective for larger areas.