How can I turn a small coat closet into a mudroom?

Taking doors down?

• You could add a sliding bard door to have the option to close it off. Hang hooks inside and put boot trays on the floor. Good luck!

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 10, 2019

Hi Robin,

This is Linda. I would remove the door, build or purchase a storage bench where boots and/or shoes could be stored then add hooks of any kind - decorative or not - for jackets, coats, etc. I'd put a 2x4 or 1x4 across the wall screwing it into the studs, the install the hooks on that. It would also be good to have a shelf with bins for hats and gloves plus a storage area for umbrellas. Here's an article with similar ideas from someone who actually created the same thing. Wishing you the best.

https://makeit-loveit.com/turn-a-coat-closet-into-the-perfect-mudroom

• See 1 previous
    • Libbie B Libbie B on Mar 30, 2021

I hope this turned out well for you!

• Linda Linda on Jan 10, 2019

This would be a good idea. I would take the doors down and create a shelf on the top with a basket for storage. Under the shelf put some hooks and then a box seat on the bottom. Maybe another shield under the seat with a matching basket.