Any ideas for making a laminate ‘wood’ floor look better?

+8
I have pergo laminate wood looking flooring in my kitchen/dining room. There are several places where water had gotten into the seams and it is raised slightly. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do to the floor to make it look better and be more durable? I’ve noticed some ideas for covering the floor with wallpaper or contact paper, but don’t want the slightly uneven places to show. Help!!!!!!?????!!!!! Please, and thank you in advance! I tried to provide a picture, it’s kinda hard to get it to show up in a photo with the light glare though.
q any ideas for making a laminate wood floor look better
water has damaged in some of the seams of the flooring.
  • William William on Dec 18, 2017
    The substrate has swelled from the water. Nothing much can be done but replace the affected boards.

• Exactly why I am not a fan of laminate. Toss an inexpensive rug down till you replace the boards or replace the floor.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 19, 2017
    Unfortunately, this is a huge problem with laminate flooring. Once it gets wet, it swells and cannot be fixed. You could replace the damaged boards...or cover them with a rug temporarily.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Dec 19, 2017
    Well although I agree with Naomie, I do have laminate flooring by choice. It's come a long way even pergo has come a long way and you can find water resistant laminate flooring. So it's not like it use to be. I guess it just depends on how old flooring is. If you choose to place a rug down you must make sure that back of rug will not damage floor further so look up on line if it is an older version to see what they recommend also be aware that if it gets a lot of natural light it will leave an outline of the rug on floor so that if you choose to replace those boards you have to do it quickly. But for safety reasons I would probably cover them up.

• Tammy Davis Lambrecht Tammy Davis Lambrecht on Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you for your replies... I was afraid at least the boards that were effected were ruined. It makes me sick that it is like this, as we bought the house just over a year ago and it was newly installed before that. I’m thinking rugs are the way to go

• Colby Hanner Colby Hanner on Dec 19, 2017
    If you go for contact paper or something of the sort just sand down afed areas befor you lay the paper down

• Gail Gail on Dec 19, 2017
    Depending on locations of those seams where damage has occurred. You might be able to create a faux flooring inset that looks like tile or even hardwood turned a different direction, by using a good grade sheet vinyl & lay & glue on top of laminate to cover bad area. If you choose to do this, sand bowed seams flat & seal sanded area. Design or shape of vinyl overlay could be square, rectangular, hexagon. Or even geometric, whatever shape works for you. When you are happy with your chosen design & overlay, use a moulding strip like that used to go from one type flooring to another that lays flat on the floor & glue or anchor strips according to manufacture recommendations. Follow edges of "inset" with border strips. This can be done very designer attractive. Make it look as nearly as you can as though it was done originally with flooring as possible, not as an afterthought, that is the key to look intentional.

I intentionally created an inset in my kitchen vinyl tile pattern using a vinyl hardwood look vinyl. I then put dining table in that area. That took the place of a rug & was easier to clean.

• Donna Spradlin Donna Spradlin on Dec 20, 2017
    I have an SHAW Vinyl Floor in my Kitchen. It is water proof. Its a thin Vinyl hard but flexablee. Any way After I put it down I had a space heater on it to warm the kitchen, it warped under the heater. I placed a piece of hard wood on it and weighed it down, It went away. Do you thing if you maybe heated it with like a blow dryer, get it hot and put some weight on it , that it may go back down. Depends if yours is the thick or thin vinyl. Just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK.

• Len Schneider Len Schneider on Dec 23, 2017
    FORGET ALL ABOVE ..... REPLACE WITH " REAL " HARDWOOD

• Sandy Sandy on Jan 11, 2018
    laminated wood ends on computer table coming off how to fix, contact paper?