Any tips on flooring

+4
I'm new to DIY projects and for the 1st one I want to rip out the carpet and put down a laminant interlocking type flooring. But I have no clue of how to do it and what to use

• Debi53 Debi53 on Dec 29, 2017
    Youtube has plenty of videos. Also ask your flooring store for guidance.

• Sherri Westlake Sherri Westlake on Dec 29, 2017
    My husbamd and i recently bought the same kind of flooring that you are wanting to get. It cnaps into place very easily we spoke with the company about how to put it in before hand and it was very explainable and easy to understand. So tr alk eith the company you buy it from.

• Pat Pat on Dec 29, 2017
    Sometimes the store where you buy laminate flooring will have a special to lay it free....you will just have to take up the carpet and haul it away.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 29, 2017
    Laminate flooring also requires the proper type of underlayment for each type of surface, and you will need door threshold trim to make a transition from one room to the next if there is to be different flooring. I would watch a few videos before I go shopping.
    Key is to leave a 1/4" gap around the edges to allow your floor to expand and contract. If the room you are laying it in is a wet room, be sure to get the newer laminates that have a sealer to prevent moisture from penetrating the particle board causing warping and swelling. Get extra laminate so if you ever have to replace some boards, you will have the matching product. I always get an extra box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpk4fr6ILMU

• Lbr24389409 Lbr24389409 on Dec 30, 2017
    My first DIY project was laminate flooring 15 years ago. The material is so much better today. Here are my tips:

Invest in a decent mitre saw, get one that has the sliding feature and a laser to show you the cut line doesn’t hurt. This will make the cutting process work well for you.

Decide whether you want to remove baseboards and re install (what I would recommend) or put quarter round around the edge of the floor to cover 1/4 inch gap.

Determine what type of transition you want to other flooring.

Look at the main source of light in the room, run the floor perpendicular to the light. You don’t want to see the plank lines, if you are doing multiple rooms pick the main living area and base your direction on that space.

Laminate is water sensitive so be cautious in kitchens and bathrooms.

Don‘t mop the floor traditionally, you will see edge lifting over time. I used a spray designed for laminate and a swifter.

• Huntress Huntress on Dec 30, 2017
    The floors now are so easy, literally click together. You need undergarments for beneath it and tools, but for a first timer, it is a very nice project. When finished it will give you cred and will do more. Soon you will be addicted like the rest of us. Plenty of videos like the others said. When you take out the carpet, don't try to pull it up and roll it, cut it in manageable strips, roll and toss, your back will thank you. Look at any wood floors in your house to see which direction to go. To me in a room with one door it is best to lay flooring across the doorway in one flat strip rather laying it the other direction and having multiple pieces end across the threshold area. Hope that made sense. Where you flooring ends at the door you will have a threshold so it will keep flooring from shifting, keeping it snug. If no threshold and you stop at doorway nothing is stopping boards from moving forward into that space and creating gaps. If you just continue the floooring to hallway or other room you will not need to worry, but you need a threshold or you will have a gap under the door. Hope this helps. Go for it, you'll be happy you did.