Can this be repaired?

+8
When our foundation was leveled yesterday this appeared in my linoleum floor. The floor was installed in 1998 but I can't afford to replace it right not. Is there a way I can fix this?
q can this be repaired
  • Lisa Lisa on Dec 08, 2017
    Did this floor sag before the foundation was repaired? Or did the floor have a noticeable slant to it? Assuming here that the foundation was shored up and jacked up. The sub flooring and joists may have been brought closer together with the foundation correction. That being said the only fix is to cut it and remove it, otherwise you will be tripping over it. There are also some fairly inexpensive peel and stick tiles that you could use in the meantime if you need to remove that flooring. Also did your walls or ceilings crack too?

• Kim Kim on Dec 08, 2017
    I would cut that ridge down the center. Then lay the opposing pieces one on the bottom and one on the top. Then I would cut through both pieces down the center so that when The extra was removed, the edges would match up. You may only be able to cut through one at a time, that’s OK, it’s more important to be precise than fast. This will be tedious and time consuming but when done you should be able to glue down the flaps and have a flat surface.

😊

• William William on Dec 08, 2017
    What was used to level the foundation? Foam or concrete? Is the "bump" stiff or flexible? Any chance there was a crack under the linoleum and some of the leveling compound seeped through the crack. Lisa's solution is the best.

• Tammie Barber Tammie Barber on Dec 08, 2017
      They used concrete piers. The bump is flexible as if the floor stretched and now there is extra flooring there. There must have been a crack under the floor there.

• Mes28120126 Mes28120126 on Dec 08, 2017
    Use a sharp razor and straight edge to cut between the flat part and buckled part. carefully trim the excess from the buckled edge and re-glue it in place. I prefer to use construction adhesive because I can easily clean off any excess without leaving a mess.

• Beth Gold Roccia Beth Gold Roccia on Dec 08, 2017
    I had that once. Boil water. Let it reach boiling point. Carefully with pot holders, put hot pot on that wrinkle. Let it sit till it cools..took the wrinkle right out of my linoleum.

• William William on Dec 08, 2017
    Great! The flooring probably stretched. Kim's Idea is best. Cut the bump down center. Overlap both pieces and carefully cut through both. Glue each side down.

• Christy Christy on Dec 08, 2017
    you could try using a iron and a towel ??

It didn't melt my linoleum..but the glue under got warm and the wrinkle was gone. Only bad thing was I couldn't move my fridge after, as it was what caused the wrinkle..I since moved so now I have laminate flooring. Try a cloth under if you're worried, can't help..see how it goes. I put the pot on straight, but I don't want to be the reason for ideas gone wrong. My linoleum had linoleum over linoleum..had I stayed, I'd have replaced it with tile..
    All the best to you!

• Gail Gail on Dec 11, 2017
    Try using a blow dryer to soften & slightly shrink the vinyl. If you can loosen edge of vinyl where it's anchored on outside edge or at a wall, blow the heated air under the vinyl. If there is glue in area of wrinkle, you may be able to re-stick the vinyl down to make it smooth again.

If that doesn't work, from pic, It looks like buckled area is near a threshold, wall & cabinet. If that is the case, lift floor vinyl from the edges, lay down smooth as it originally was, cut vinyl to fit area again & either glue or staple edges in place. Around edges of cabinet base & wall is where cutting should be done if possible rather than where wrinkle is. Cuts made like that can be difficult to get them to hold up to traffic without additional problems from cut edges coming up or separating even with gluing to try & smooth out wrinkle.

Quarter round or shoe moulding around edges to help anchor newly cut & glued or stapled vinyl edges is not an expensive measure for longer life of your vinyl.

Hope this helps.