Can you cover linoleum floor with tile ?

+2
  • Ken Ken on Dec 26, 2017
    Assuming that you mean vinyl self-stick tile, yes you can. Follow instructions that come with the tile for their recommendations to install over existing flooring.

However, having just taken out one of these installations, I recommend that you don't. Every imperfection in the old floor will telegraph through to the new tile. The roll flooring used under my tile had an embossed design that all showed through the tile and it was not a good look. My advice is to remove the old flooring and put down a layer of thin plywood called "flooring underlayment" if the surface under the roll flooring is not in good condition. They make a leveling compound to fill the seams. You'll only be adding 1/5" to the floor height and your new tile job will look first class.

• William William on Dec 26, 2017
    If it's flat and sound yes you can. Use tile mastic instead of thinset. Thinset will not hold to linoleum or vinyl.

• Cat Cat on Dec 26, 2017
    I did, but you need to cover with wetboard first so the mastic has something to stick too. its bee 15 years and not a crack. Solid as can bee and I covered with natural slate tile.