How do I keep rain water out of my sunroom?


It was originally a porch that was enclosed as a permanent room, but has a porch slab and not foundation. I've had water rushing in twice--just where the baseboard meets the tile, along with mold remediation, etc, costing a bunch as it's not covered under insurance for this type of damage. A contractor put in a French drain outside, used sealing waterproof plastic and spray and redid the dry wall and baseboard and promised this wouldn't happen again!! It is now a totally enclosed room with electric and hurricane windows. Help! I don't want to move, but I can't keep having water (clear) rushing in under the baseboard!! Experts, please help!!! Thanks.

q how do i keep rain water out of my sunroom

Water is mopped up now. There are three large windows across the entire wall (14') above the drywall.

  15 answers
  • Beka 6 Beka 6 on Jun 30, 2021

    Dig it out around outside and get Adrian like field tile but 4 house or whatever and go with gravity

    • Francine Wolf Francine Wolf on Jun 30, 2021

      The outside wall was painted with a tar-like substance, which was supposed to be waterproof. I just got the suggestion to replace gutters with wider super gutters because water was gushing over the gutters, that added to water by the wall. Big Florida storm. Thanks for your help.

  • I would call your contractor back. He clearly missed something that needs to be remediated.

  • Jacyne Jacyne on Jun 30, 2021

    You may have to install a sump pump to keep the water out of your room. That is what we had to do to our home after we kept getting rain water in a bedroom after heavy rains. We had a company install special drain tiles inside and outside and a deep cycle sump pump. It sets in a cabinet and is not readily seen. This has mostly solved our problems, the one time we did have an issue the company came back an installed another outlet to the sump pump. So for us, time will tell. I wish you luck in getting your sun room fixed. Best wishes

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 30, 2021

    I agree to consider calling back your contractor. If you already have a french drain my next suggestion would be much wider / bigger gutters with long down spouts that take the water away from the home. SO sorry this is happening!

    • See 1 previous
    • Francine Wolf Francine Wolf on Jun 30, 2021

      Actually the contractor is my brother who is an engineer and licensed contractor! He said after 47 years, the condo building is settling and the land slopes towards the building, not away. I was looking for some other ideas.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 30, 2021

    Perhaps raise the surface on the exterior. Maybe decorative stones like landscaping. We did cap blocks on a similar issue.

  • Mogie Mogie on Jun 30, 2021

    Call the contracter. You paid to have this done and apparently something isn't right.

  • William William on Jun 30, 2021

    Larger gutters and downspouts will help. Also raising the grade of the soil so it slopes away from the building will also help. You may also have to install an inside perimeter french drain and sump pump.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jun 30, 2021

    Weather stripping needs to be corrected or gather cleaned out

  • You'll need to make sure your downspouts are moving water well away from your home, at least 10'. You mentioned though that the land slopes towards the building -- this is your issue. You must have it regraded to slope away.

  • Dee Dee on Jul 01, 2021

    I had to replace my gutters and flashing to correct a water leak. But at any rate call your contractor and have him fix his work.

  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 01, 2021

    You need to find out we’re it’s coming from it sounds as if you don’t have a gutter on there unless the front isn’t sealed and the water is coming in between the floor and the wall from out side you might need some caulking

  • Sharon Sharon on Jul 03, 2021

    Did you call back the guy who did the work, and said it wouldn't happen again? That would be my first choice.

    If you have a lot of water that the French drain can't handle you may need to add either catchment basins or a sump pump to handle the volume of water.

    Where is the water coming from? Sometimes either relocating your gutter downspouts or adding extensions to them dug into the ground and further out into the yard so you don't have that water near your slab.... this guy has every conceivable video for outside water problems

    • Francine Wolf Francine Wolf on Jul 03, 2021

      Thank you. I will watch the videos. Yesterday my brother ( original licensed contractor) painted the outside wall with flex seal paint and sprayed it on an air conditioner hoses coming out of wall that appeared to have gaps. Next week I have 2 gutter installers coming out for quotes.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 05, 2021

    Do you have tubing coming away from the wall from the bottom of the gutters, that might help remedy the excess water coming in, at least 10' away in tubing? These extensions will carry away the water from the gutters and walls.

  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jul 08, 2021

    I’m very concerned that your brother, as an Engineer, has told you that he has observed the building or at least the porch is settling and the land is sloped towards the condo complex.

    This is a no-win deteriorating situation.

    The condo HOA/Management needs to be advised of these conditions, in writing, as they effect the entire building complex.

    Depending on what kind of engineer your brother is (Civil, hopefully), ask him if he would “pen” that letter.

    You might explain to them that your insurance company wouldn’t cover the water damage repairs,

    as a way of getting to think about Their insurance on the whole building complex.

    Re-grading or swales is required of the land at least 10’ around the building complex perimeter.

    Meanwhile, you’ve some great suggestions with larger gutters, longer downspouts and sump pumps.