How do l put a border on a carpet?

Thj32397040
by Thj32397040
I have a large piece left over from a new wall to wall carpet that I would like to keep . What advice can you give me ?

• Teresa Teresa on Mar 15, 2018

The carpet company would put a binding around the edges or any carpet store. We did that to keep the carpet from fraying & to have a finished piece. I hope this helps!

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Mar 15, 2018

I haven’t done this myself, but it may be a solution! If you make your border all sowed together and make it so it’s smaller than the carpet size enough that if you lay the carpet up side down and lay out your border where it over hangs the carpet least several inches if possible? You may be able to get the same glue the carpet layers use for gluing their carpet seams together? Then it just be a matter of using that glue between the back of your carpet and your border to glue it in place! If you can’t find a carpet layer willing to give you the glue maybe one will have a better suggestion to glue it down for you? If you can find a good fabric adhesive that could do the trick too! So hopefully you get what I’m say? As a example if you had a 20’x20’ carpet and you made say a 12” border with the open section 19’x19‘ it would give you 6” on each side that it hang over on the carpet to glue to and leave you a 6” border showing once it was flipped back to the finished side. If you want a larger border then make your material larger like a 18”-24” border that would end up with a finished 12”- 18” border! Best suggestions I can come up with off the top of my head. Hope it helps or least helps spark another idea for you to give a try? Best of luck!

• I buy remnants and have them bind the edges all the time, sometimes can be less expensive than actually buying an area rug. Call around as prices can vary. Mom and pop or independent carpet stores are typically less expensive and in my experience a much better job.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 16, 2018

Ouch, your hands will kill you..... I recommend you take to a carpet store and have them do it for you.... otherwise its carpet thread, needlenose pliers and a strong carpet needle. I did it once..... never again.