How do you level out a home addition?

+2
We recently moved to a 100 + year old home. The kitchen and laundry area are add ons-porches closed in. They have a slight slant to them. How do we level them off?

• Ken Ken on Dec 26, 2017
    Most houses have a slight slant to the floors. Appliances are made with leveler feet for just that purpose. Is there some problem that you are having?

• Jean Jean on Dec 26, 2017
    I was lucky in my 140-year-old farmhouse...only one end of my kitchen (a long kitchen all across the back of the house - called a 'Pullman kitchen') was slanting and it was downwards. Scrubbing the floor was an experience - the water just ran down the slope and out that end of the kitchen's door! So when I had new linoleum put in I had a carpenter friend come in beforehand and lay a small wood (1/4" x 1/4") frame, then plywood, over the dipped end to level it off. It wasn't EXACT but it was better than the 3" dip I had. I did my repair this way so it wouldn't involve any jacking of the floor from underneath. I DID have a contractor check first to make sure there wasn't any structural damage causing the problem. There wasn't. It was just sagging from old age. The wood was still sound. Good luck! JH

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Dec 26, 2017
    Hello! Our add-on porch that was from the previous owner began to sink on one end. We had our handy Home repairman jack up the sinking end and install some strong support beams. The former beans were not large enough to support the porch. Now it is level and we are very happy with the job he did.

• William William on Dec 26, 2017
    I have leveled many porches into living quarters. Porch floors were slanted for water runoff. What my crew did would lay a very straight board across floor, place a level on the board. Then raise the board on the low end until the board was level. Measure the gap from the bottom of the board to the floor at the low end. They would take that measurement subtract the thickness of subfloor to be used and cut long wedges out of 2X4's the length of the floor. Glue and screw them down. Then glue and screw the subfloor go over them.