How to cut vinyl plank flooring? How hard is it to install?

+1

I need to replace my laminate flooring with a waterproof vinyl plank flooring should I keep the pad under the vinyl flooring? The pad current under the laminate was expensive and is only 3 years old.

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 07, 2018
    No you will need to remove the laminate and pad, because vinyl plank is a glued down product to your subflooring.

• Alradborn Alradborn on Jul 08, 2018

Also if you remove everything, be sure the nails/screws on subfloor are sunk, you do not want " nail pops" after installing.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 08, 2018

The vinyl that I have looked at has a leveling rubber layer on it, it is not glued down, it is a tongue and groove flooring that only needs a rubber mallet, a straight edge and a blade to cut the planks to fit, like a carpet knife. We were told that we could lay it right over our hardwood flooring that is getting so beat up by the dogs.

• William William on Jul 08, 2018

Remove the pad. Some vinyl flooring has adhesive on it. It needs to stick to the subfloor. If it does not have adhesive it does need to be glued down. Use a utility knife and straight edge and score a few times with the knife. Bend it at the score line and it will snap.