How do I do a bare floor for cheap?

+3

I have a bathroom floor completely bare, down to the wood planks. I see the ground through some cracks I live in a Mobile Home.Need the most inexpensive way to do it?

• Marsha Armstrong Compton Marsha Armstrong Compton on Dec 27, 2018

I've actually seen a trailer where they painted the floors. I'm guessing with a coat of sealant on top, actually looked good. And was easy to maintain just sweep n mop! Hope it helps. Only other suggestion I have is find a restore or Google cheap floor coverings.

• Gk Gk on Dec 27, 2018

I am a bit concerned that you can see the ground through some of the cracks. Makes me wonder how much moisture you will get coming up from the ground. You will need to add a sub floor before you do anything. The least expensive thing would be to stain the sub floor and add a coat or two of poly. Buying a roll of sheet vinyl flooring is also an inexpensive alternative as well as peel and stick tiles. You just have to make sure you have the right sub floor down.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 27, 2018

I think its best to put a sheet of plywood over the planks, cover all the gaps. screw it down and install a remnant of Lino or tile.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Dec 27, 2018

Luan plywood first then sheet vinyl would be most cost efficient while taking care of cracks as well.

• Deborah Deborah on Dec 28, 2018

Ok, maybe I am more financially strapped than most, but buying vinyl linoleum is out of my budget. Nevertheless, you cannot have a floor where you are seeing the outside--bugs, moisture, heat, cold, etc. First and foremost you must put a subfloor down. Anything that is a half to one inch thick. Anything! Plywood, old used paneling that is the thicker type someone ripped out of their house that you can lay two layers thick, or pine boards, etc. Now, if you have a habitat for humanity restore near you, you can find things like this more easily. Otherwise, check Craigslist or whatever you have like that. Next, go to to your local home store and see what they have for mistake mixed paint. You will need enough to paint your floor twice. If you are lucky enough to find another coordinating color, paint a pattern on your subfloor. If you have any money left over, put down one or two coats of polyurethane from the restore. Later when you have more money, you can put down vinyl tiles or linoleum. Good luck!

• Brenda Locke Brenda Locke on Feb 05, 2019

Check with home construction sites for material that is thrown ..so many contractors throw away cuts of wood ,tile. If you could find a remodel would be great. Ck with city for remodeling permits .