How to fix bowing laminate flooring?

Maddycat77
by Maddycat77
We have concrete under our laminate floors, but I couldn't convince my husband to level them before we put down the laminate, and now it's bowing in random areas. Any suggestions?

• Was an underlayment put down first? Chances are they were installed too tight with no room for expansion and contraction and / or dampness from below. Here are a couple links. Good luck!

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-repair-buckled-laminate-flooring

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prevent-buckling-laminate-floors-29635.html

• LaViCa LaViCa on Aug 06, 2017

Agreed...If it is not your desire to rip out and reinstall, then perhaps removing a single strip of laminate (along an inconspicuous wall - covered by a larger piece of furniture like a sofa or entertainment center) would allow for the other pieces to expand and relieve the tension of expansion placed on the buckling pieces. Good Luck!

• William William on Aug 06, 2017

I agree! Did you lay down proper underlayment for concrete floors (plastic then laminate flooring underlayment)? Did you leave 1/4" to 1/2" gap around the perimeter covered with 1/4 round molding? When installing perimeter molding, did you nail it to the wall and not the flooring?

• Maddycat77 Maddycat77 on Aug 06, 2017

There is underlayment, but I don't think my husband left a gap around the walls n there is no molding yet. Our home is still a work in progress, but we haven't had the extra money lately to do any work.

• Maddycat77 Maddycat77 on Aug 06, 2017

If I had the money, I would love to rip it all out and start over, and do it right this time. We have ceramic tile in our kitchen, bath and laundry, but it isn't level either.

• Pat Pat on Aug 06, 2017

Laminate floor must have a gap around the walls or it will bow from the hot and cold conditions of your house. Laminate flooring expands and contracts from the weather conditions. Our laminate flooring was put in and then the gap at the edge was covered with quarter round loosely nailed just above the flooring...enough so that the flooring can move a little. Yes, the concrete should have a leveling compound put on it but all may not be lost.....just be sure there is a gap around the perimeter of the floor.