How to fix slippery steps?

+5
Our front porch steps get really slippery whenever there's moisture in the air, rain, dew, snow, frost. We have tried a couple different types of the slip resistant treads, I've cleaned them and replaced them. They don't get much sunlight and are almost always damp, but there isn't any mold on them.

• Ken Ken on Dec 12, 2017
    Wooden steps? If you paint them using floor enamel then sprinkle sand over them while the paint is wet it should remedy your problem.

• Tsa28421067 Tsa28421067 on Dec 15, 2017
      They are wooden. We will try it , we plan on replacing the porch in the spring. Thank you.

• Rembatb Rembatb on Dec 12, 2017
    Are your porch steps concrete or are they wooden? Typically using the training is the best way to go about it there are different types of Trades made out of different types of materials. Perhaps the treading you're using is made out of rubber maybe you should go with them or heavier treading which can be made out of copper or sometimes brass. I don't remember the name of it but there is a type of paint also that they have come out with now that you can paint for wooden steps. I don't know if it would work for the concrete ones but you paint it on and it also has like a grip feel to the stairs. You might want to call a local paint store and ask them about having that product or perhaps a local Ace Hardware store. This is another solution but it's aggravating if you have to use the de- icer daily . I used to live up north and using deicer really helped a lot it's a pain in the but to do but it does work, it does help. Good luck!

• Allison Newby Allison Newby on Dec 12, 2017
    Sounds like it needs resurfacing to give it some grip. I don't know why but my thoughts go to water based sealer with a medium like sand mixed it . Paint it on and let dry on a none damp kinda day maybe add a fan to help. Hope this kinda helps. Lol. I'm sure it's a quick fix depending on the floor . Let us know what you decide or find out. Good luck. 😀

• Rembatb Rembatb on Dec 12, 2017
    Ooh,I forgot about the sand on wet paint. That works as well and can be very effective.

Thank you.

• Ken Ken on Dec 15, 2017
    You won't be sorry. I've done the sand in the paint thing and it works great.