How to lay laminate "wood looking " tiles

+5
How do you know what direction to lay the "wood" planks?
  • Bgoncalves5670 Bgoncalves5670 on Jun 15, 2017
    I think there is no right or wrong to this other than it's a better idea to go across seams from underfloor so there will be no gaps from the home ,what we call, breathing from hot weather to cold.

• Barbara Barbara on Jun 15, 2017
      thank you for your help. This is a small 10" x 10" room for my office. It is a slab floor. Would it look best to run them left to right, standing in the doorway?

• Lin Lin on Jun 15, 2017
    Planked wood floors should run opposite to your floor joists unless you have a solid subfloor. Here's a helpful article http://homeguides.sfgate.com/correct-direction-laying-hardwood-floors-49169.html

• Barbara Barbara on Jun 15, 2017
    Thank you for the site. It is a small 10" x 10" slab floor for my office. Best running left to right standing in the doorway?

If it looks good to you , yes, I kinda look at placement of furniture and the most important thing is which way chairs are going to be wearing on floor. If you keep sliding over the seams it might pull up , but if you slid along plank it would last longer. Unless they are on rollers , LOL ,then it really doesn't matter .Just my thinking.

• Barbara Barbara on Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks to all👌

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 15, 2017
    You should run it from the door to the opposite wall. It will create subtle 'movement' and the impression that the room is longer than square. The instructions on the laminate will probably tell you the same. Don't forget that no room is truly square. Start on one "long" side and work across. You will find you'll have to trim the opposite edge.