How to protect white beadboard stair risers?

+3

I'm installing white bead board risers and plan to paint them with latex semi gloss paint and then water based poly. Will that be enough to stop scuff marks? Can I use some type of clear plastic film like on cars?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 06, 2019

Have you considered enamel paint? RustOleum has a great product and is reasonably priced. I used it on the doors and trim at our farmhouse, which gets a tremendous amount of abuse, and they just wipe clean. I wish I had done it years earlier.

• Dennis Raschka Dennis Raschka on Feb 06, 2019

Thanks Kathy. Should I still poly ?

• William William on Feb 06, 2019

Some scuff marks will be inevitable no matter what kind of paint and sealer you use. You should be pretty fine with what you did. After getting tired of painting I glued white laminate on my risers. Still need to clean scuff marks but it doesn't get beat up as bad.

• Em Em on Feb 07, 2019

A couple coats of poly should be about as good as it gets.

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Feb 07, 2019

Dennis, I agree with William and Em. Stairs will get some black marks and scuffs. You could keep it under control if you lightly use a Magic Eraser when you see a blemish. (the Magic Erasers from the $ Tree work just as well as the expensive name-brands).

• Dennis Raschka Dennis Raschka on Feb 07, 2019

Great. Thanks to all