How to quiet a squeaky floor?

My house is 12 years old. The kitchen floor squeaks in several areas & is getting worse. (There is is no way one can sneak to the refrigerator late at night ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚) Read some suggestions about putting wedges in from underneath (canโ€™t get to them) and doing something from the top. (Floor is covered with linoleum). Words Iโ€™d rather not hear, โ€œtear up the whole floorโ€, ๐Ÿ™‰ but Iโ€™m realistic & will listen to any recommendations. ๐Ÿ™„ Thanks and Happy New Year to all ๐Ÿค—.

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jan 14, 2019

Barb, I see no way you can solve the problem without getting under the linoleum or going in from the bottom. Look over these videos to see if anything answers your question. Another thing is ask your friendly hardware man. He may have some answers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squeaky+floor+under+laminate

• Barb Barb on Jan 14, 2019

Thanks for your response, Rose. The links you provided looked very interesting. I will cook up some popcorn, crawl under an afghan tonight and binge on those links.๐Ÿคฏ

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Jan 15, 2019

Yeah, to really fix the problem I agree you have to either go from the top or the bottom and since you can't do either....One slight possibility, depending on where the squeaks are, is that shifting your refrigerator (or anything else heavy and moveable-- heavy kitchen table, moveable island) to one side or the other by an inch or two MIGHT calm the floor squeak by shifting the weight on the boards underneath. Good luck!

• Barb Barb on Jan 15, 2019

Would never have thought of this, Lizbeth. Sounds logical and could make a difference but not doable in this case - fridge is kinda enclosed and the squeaks have multiplied over several different areas in the kitchen. (I better keep an eye on MY weight!!) Again, your idea is good to know. Thanks