I NEED HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP- paperbag floor help

+5
i was working on my paperbag floor and it was looking soooooooooooo good, then i got the brilliant idea to put a little glam and glitter on it, well I guess i put too much on it... and now it looks like s**t. Thank god I only did 1/4 of the floor, I tried scraping it off with a straight edge razor blade and for the most part it took a lot of them off... however... there are sections where the sparkles or whatever you call them that can not be scraped off. Is it possible to re-do the floor with the elmers glue solution OVER the areas that are pollied ??? I need some answers quick, if anyone can advise i would appreciate it. I tried sanding them off, no go, I tried putting more poly over a portion thinking it would release the glam but it didn't now my only choice is to re-do the parts that have the sparkles... it totally took the leather affect out of the floor.. I am so disgusted, i spent days and days and days trying to make it perfect and in a moments lack of judgement I totally messed up the look. Any suggestions?
I started a small area using more of the elmers and less water hoping it will stick, it is drying now and i hope this works otherwise I am going to pull my hair out!!!!

help help help

• Oh, Bernadette, I'm so sorry you're having this trouble! I would try scuffing the area you want to redo with sandpaper (give it something to grip to) and then lay down the paper bags like before. Try a small spot first, as a test. Good luck!

• William William on Dec 18, 2017
    I agree with Ann. Once the poly is dry it's hard to soften and remove. Even solvent based removers would just make it into a gummy mess. Best would be to paper bag over the area.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Dec 19, 2017
    I agree with using more paper bags. I was helping a friend cover a coffee table with brown paper bags and while the poly was drying her daughter got some eyeshadow all over it (powder) we thought," Oh no now what "?!? Well we had no choice but to go back over it with the bags and more poly. At first we tried to just cover the mess but ended up doing the whole top again (just one coat though). Just covering the messy part made the layering look weird that is why the whole top needed to be redone.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

• Peter Peter on Dec 19, 2017
    Please note: Elmers or other white GLUE is NOT waterproof.

• Sylvia Ivie Sylvia Ivie on Dec 19, 2017
    I havent tried the paper bag floor diy but i do sympathise. I have learned to test before working on the big project over the years especially when cooking... i still get grossed out remembering the black bean and baby oyster soup fiasco. Now i isolate a cup of soup add a portion of whatever...and taste. The same goes for any project. In your case, the learning opportunity is a huge one. I searched for a solution and found a video where the man used heat ( a torch), though he recommended a heat gun. Then he sanded. Here is the video...good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Peter Peter on Jan 18, 2018
      The video is by a 'craftsman' who knows little of his materials and tools!
      1. Polyurethane (oil OR latex) is a PLASTIC when cured... plastic will gunk up a sanding sheet.
      2. Polyurethane generates it OWN heat while curing... adding heat is a recipe for failure.
      3. Polyurethane cures by adding moisture (ambient humidity is usually sufficient) ... if the air is very dry, use a humidifier.
      4. the torch... really, do some research, flame spreader tips are available... but
      5. "I misplaced my heat gun" Then show some craftsmanship, clean your shop!

Silvie... DUMP THIS LINK!

• Janice Janice on Jun 15, 2022

So sorry this happened. It's always discouraging when things do turn out as planned; however, it's an opportunity to learn. Scuff sand the areas with the "sparkle" and then apply new paper/glue as previously. Think positive, it's an additional layer of new flooring! :)