Tips for replacing carpet and linoleum with laminate?

+3
I want to replace some 25 year old carpet in my bedrooms with laminate. Also replace linoleum in kitchen with laminate. Need to know how easy it is...My husband is 69 and can't help..Money is tight...These floors are driving me crazy...

• Shay Johnson Shay Johnson on Jun 25, 2018
    Go on craigslist to help wanted. Make an add asking for just what you want. Add in the price situation and someone would be there if possible. I had the same issue and a sweet man offered me help the same day. I was not able to get to save for the material though.

• While I am not a fan of laminate, it might be a good choice for you. If you have the tools, you could do it by yourself, but I highly suggest getting some help from friends, family, handyman, something. Here are some tips.

Shop around and get the best quality with the longest warranty for your money. And just about every manufacturer has installation videos on YouTube too. They are helpful to watch.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 25, 2018
    Well...we put in our first "floating" laminate back in 2005. It can be done by semi-skilled DIY'ers, but I would not say it is easy.

You must know how to measure and saw and be good at figuring things out, such as cutting off your door facings to allow the floor to go underneath (notice this in photos); what tools you will need; which direction to run the flooring (it runs opposite the direction of the floor joist); how to figure out how to go from one room to another in a continuous run (make the floor level...DO NOT rely on those strips to join rooms). Be sure and put down the quiet pad...that is the thicker pad...it is more expensive, but eliminates that hollow sound you will come to hate!

I am enclosing a photo of where we put down a connecting threshold using tile when we joined the real wood in the foyer/living/dining rooms and the second brand of flooring. We attached this to the subfloor with Epoxy, then bought a small bag of dark grout to finish it off...always use dark grout on floors because all grout shows dark traffic pattern over time. Actually these are decorative tiles we found on sale...$15 for $1 each. This is what I meant by "figuring things out"...there was a slight difference in height in one place so we added more epoxy under where needed!

Our first floor was was made by Bruce and it looks as good today...13 years later...as it did the day we put it down...even though we have a big, water loving Lab on it all the time...LOVE MY FLOORS.

Years later when Bruce changed its installation technique (long story), we added a much cheaper floor on sale from Home Depot and after 8 years, it is still like new even in my kitchen. Of course I am careful not to abuse it.

Whatever you do, do not get dark flooring that is all the rage unless you love cleaning floors. My daughter has a "new" place with dark floors and they drive her crazy...have to be mopped and dried! She mists her floors and then dry wipes with her Swiffer!

Good luck and post photos!!!

P.S. One thing about doing this yourself, you do not have to accept things you know are unacceptable...such as raised thresholds when you can use tile. My sister had an unusual setup where she had 3 large glass doors between 2 rooms. The so called "professional" installers put in 3 raised strips. I would not have accepted this. I would have either laid out the un-attached boards in advance to assure that 1 board fit 1/2 of the door opening and a second board filled the other side of that opening...or put in a flat surface like I have!

GOOD LUCK AND POST PHOTOS!!!

• Mary Reinhardt Mary Reinhardt on Jun 25, 2018
    Great job!!! Thanks for info!!!