My travertine kitchen floor has severe cracks. Any suggestions?

+11
q my travertine kitchen floor has severe cracks any suggestions
  • Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    Either the floor under the tile was not of the correct construction or the tile was not installed correctly. Either way this is not good for you. This is a remove, fix the issue, and install new floor. Sorry, I'd like to give an easier answer.

• Delle Delle on Dec 27, 2017
    Although I have to agree with Ken, above, and it does need to be removed and re-done, if you need a temporary fix for whatever reason, you might try a filler in a contrasting color, if you think you can make it look like natural veining in the rock. I'm not sure what might work, but perhaps something very hard like an epoxy or polyurethane. I'm not by any means suggesting you should use this as a permanent solution.

• Cte10244983 Cte10244983 on Dec 28, 2017
    My bathroom floors have tiles which are whitish in color with marbleing and veins. I noticed several cracks. I took a small craft paint brush and filled in the cracks with white oil based paint. I rubbed lightly over the area with a soft rag. The cracks seemed to disappear. I hope this helps. Carol

• Lgo25653165 Lgo25653165 on Dec 28, 2017
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! I know we need to replace the whole floor, but it's a large area and will be quite costly. I'll try a quick fix as a temporary solution!

• Sissy Sissy on Dec 28, 2017
    get a piece of travertine and grind it to dust and then epoxy and mix and fill the cracks .Be very careful in doing it and buff with an electric buffer .Tape off around the cracks so it does not get all over the tile .You can use a paste buffing wax used to seal and bring back the color of the stone

• Sissy Sissy on Dec 30, 2017
    It works I did it on a floor .I used a grinder to grind up a piece of matching travertine .I got the epoxy at a stone counter top and flooring place .It is not cheap but has held up for over 3 years now

• Sissy Sissy on Dec 30, 2017
    I bought a cheap one from harbor freight and then crushed it as fine as I could .I used the epoxy they put 2 pieces of counter top together .You do have to mix it according to instructions to the T