Need a cheap idea to fix kitchen floor

+2
I need to replace my kitchen floor - it is plywood under and linoleum tiles are coming loose - need a cheap solution. I saw paper bag flooring and loved the way it looked, but was concerned it would not hold up to kitchen wear and tear? Still considering it, but wondered if anyone out there had any suggestions? has anyone had luck with the paper bag thing? Thanks!

• Ken Ken on Jan 03, 2018
    The paper bag idea does look nice in the photos. Here is a site where they used the technique in a retail store: https://www.lilblueboo.com/2015/05/how-to-make-a-paper-bag-floor.html

The poly that you use will determine durability. Minwax floor finish is $65 a gallon and up. The Glue will set you back $15 a gallon and you may need to allow additional expense for tools. You will also need a lot of paper bags or purchase a roll of brown paper.

Take a look at a homedepot.com search for vinyl tile. They have more than a dozen choices under a dollar a square foot, some self-stick so you won't need adhesive. Depending on the size of your kitchen vinyl may be a less expensive choice.

My point is that you should choose the paper bag floor if that is the style that you want and the extra work is worth it. But choosing it because it is the least expensive? Maybe not.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 03, 2018
    It will hold up if you put either an epoxy top coat, or about 10 coats of polyacrylic top coat on top.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 03, 2018
    Take note of Sharon's comment - 10 coats required.
    Price out all materials for this project first to determine if the idea is still within your budget.