Floating wood or wood-look floors? How do they fair?

+4
Foating wood or wood-look floors? How do they fair? Have heard they watermark easily. And it would be going into the kitchen. Also have two large dogs who enter throough the side door of which is right next to the kitchen. Any feedback would be awesome! We have some we got for next to nothing a few years back and then started hearing horror stories about it. (It's not the toxic stuff made overseas that was in the news a few years ago).
Thank you
  • A A on May 28, 2017
    I am all for luxury vinyl planks. They look authentic and take a beating.

• Chicabunny Chicabunny on May 28, 2017
    The new look is tile that looks like wood they are so great to have. Low maintenance and great selections check it out.

• Teresa Teresa on May 28, 2017
    My kitchen had the floating laminate floor (wood looking) but I found that they marked easily. For pets and kids, ceramic or porcelain tile would hold up better.

• I have floating laminate floors that were the top of the line at the time they were installed. I do not care for them. I have 6 + dogs that are on them every day and will eventually rip out and have one of the new vinyl products instead or real wood. The only entrance to my back yard is through the kitchen via sliding glass doors and also an after market doggie door. I had real wood floors at my last house and miss them terribly. With so many pets, I would go with vinyl, especially if their food and water bowls will be located on the surface. That's my experience and vote! ☺

• Colleen Cantelipe Colleen Cantelipe on May 28, 2017
    I have porcelain tile, cause I read all the stuff about wood look floors having problems with water, especially if you have the plumbing back up for some reason. I love the porcelain, just sweep, mop, vacuum, steam or even use the Bissel carpet cleaner, using just water or mild soap. I have had them for 13 years and no problems, and have had both bathrooms flood on me, with no damage to the porcelain tile, and it was very inexpensive, porcelain is better than ceramic, though, it's more durable.

All I can say is I have porcelain, and it has held up for 13 years, with two bathrooms flooding and no damage. Just vacuum, sweep, mop, steam, and even use a carpet cleaning machine, with just water or mild soap. I love the ease of porcelain tile, but the warm look of the wood would be a nice change.