How to remove self stick floor tiles?

I need to pull up damaged floor tiles in my bathroom, and retile. I don't know what to use to pull up the tiles. Can I then use new tile (self stick) over the old residue on the floor? Or must I remove the old glue residue (using?). Floor is cement under the tiles, so no new sub flooring is needed. And, (I'm getting bang for the bucks here), how do I tile around the toilet and sink? Sink is a pedestal. Thank you.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jul 07, 2018

We had to take up tile in our kitchen and there was a concrete like substance on the sub flooring. You will be well advised to take this up and not go over it with something else.

Hubs wanted to use his wire brush on his drill to get this off but I said "absolutely not! I don't want grinding dust in all of the air ducts."

So we sat down on our backsides and used a putty knife and a small hammer and chiseled it all up. It took about 1 hour with both of us working. A bathroom should take less time.

• Christine Sorensen Christine Sorensen on Jul 08, 2018
    When I replaced my tile, I cut an X from corner to corner on the tile and used my hair dryer to soften the glue. I guided a putty knife under the loosened tile. Worked perfectly